A Step Towards Behavioral Change
Beginning of A Social Movement – FAD
"SACHET developed a TV Magazine show entitled "Gender Watch". a pioneer on Behaviour Change Communication. Gender Watch was seen as breaking the silence on many gender issues. The program was highly appreciated by the viewers and they suggested through their mails a wide range of social issues that needed to be highlighted. Among those issues the custom and institution of Dowry and Dowry violence was on priority.
It served as a momentum to initiate a different but relevant approach towards Dowry, a gender based violence issue through an Advocacy Project FAD-Fight Against Dowry Project."
AGEHI-Advocates of Gender, Education and Health Information Resource Center; the technical wing of SACHET, launched a five-year advocacy project FAD "Fight Against Dowry" on 26th November 2001.
FAD - Project was conceived and developed by Dr Rakhshinda Perveen Executive Vice President SACHET& founder AGEHI Resource centre
FAD Aims to Stimulate a thinking process by sensitization and awareness against the institution and practice of dowry & dowry violence in Pakistan.
- To identify perceptions, attitudes, practices in connection with dowry in Pakistani Society.
- To inform primarily youth and students about the social, economic, psychological and health hazards of dowry and dowry violence.
- To engage mass media in promotion and dissemination of awareness against repercussions of dowry
- To lobby for various reforms with the various levels of government.
- To organize and mobilize students and parents against dowry.
FAD took some practical steps for the cause by Breaking culture of silence, promoting positive dialogue and organizing activities to involve youth in the process of advocating the message.
FAD while addressing youth as the main audience also keeps in focus other interest groups such as Parents, policy-makers & in particular media.
The major components of FAD are Lobbying, Communication (TV, print, web, Mehfils), Research and Training.
For achieving its goals FAD utilizes the tools of Advocacy, Sensitization and awareness raising through its different activities among the target group audience.
FAD started its research on legislation regarding Dowry in 2002 After various consultative process and research FAD recently conducted a workshop in 2003 with Legislators in which plan of action and suggested amendments were proposed.
The activities that are carried out under the banner of FAD are Research (micro studies), training, networking, community Mehfils (awareness sessions), TV magazine show, Dowry message spot on Pakistan Television creative writing/poster competitions, signature campaign among youth (endorsed more than 10,000 signatures) and any activity which is doable no matter at how small scale….
- Communication (mass media, interpersonal, e-communication)
- Lobbying (parliamentarians, law enforcing agencies, health professionals, journalism)
- Youth involvement (interactive dialogues, awareness sessions, signature campaign, message bags)
- Other stake holders involvement (parents, teachers, religious leaders, opinion makers)
- Legal advisory service
- All other stake holders
- All other stake holders
FAD ensures community through FADAN (Fight against dowry advocacy network)
- Gender Focus
- Gender Perspective
FADAN -Fight Against Dowry Network
FAD in the form of FAD Network on 3rd April 2003 provided a platform to cater the growing interest of the youth and organizations to play their part in making a difference.
You can also be a part of that network by filling in the form.
Other Ways to Become FADAN "Change Makers"
- Writing for FAD-Fight Against Dowry.
- Being a FAD-Fight Against Dowry advocate.
- Contribute a piece of prose or poetry on the issue of Dowry violence.
- Buy an advocacy bag (from SACHET Gallery : 6, Beverly Center, Near NAFDEC cinema, Blue Area Islamabad)
- Buy FAD-Fight Against Dowry TV series set (from AGEHI Resource Center/SACHET Gallery)
- You can provide legal or medical help to Dowry and Dowry violence victims.
- Be a supporting pillar through cash or kind in our activities.
Research students/organizations can benefit by contacting AGEHI Resource Center for accessing the research material on dowry violence by filling out the form for research.